Hinxton Watermill

In a beautiful setting, down a sleepy lane, Hinxton Mill straddles the River Cam. Much of machinery within the building remains in good working order with regular demonstrations on mill open days by the charity’s volunteers.

Dating from the 17th century, but built on a very old site, which probably dates from the Domesday survey, the mill business ceased to operate in 1955. The building became very dilapidated and in 1984 with the local authority about to put a closing order on the adjoining cottage, CambridgePPF stepped in to buy and restore the buildings with support and encouragement from the local community.

Visitor information
7 days, dawn to dusk
Picnic siteDogs on leads welcomeDisabled access limitedWalksViewpointsInformation point

 

Opening hours and getting here

Open: The exterior of the mill can be visited at any time. To see inside the mill, come to an open day – on the first Sunday of the month from May to September and on National Mills weekend in May. Groups visits can also be arranged at other times, just contact the team.

Location: Hinxton Mill is located in Mill Lane, Hinxton CB10 1RD (off the High Street). The village of Hinxton is south of Cambridge just off the A 1301 from Cambridge to Saffron Walden.

Admission: There is a small charge to see inside the mill on open days, which goes directly to support the upkeep of the building. Members can look around for free.

Parking: Park on Mill Lane and use the footpath (unpaved surface) to the mill.

Other modes of transport: You can reach Hinxton by using the Stagecoach Citi 7 bus service

Access: The ground floor of the mill is accessible for wheelchairs. Access to the first floor is by a steep wooden ladder.

What's on

Venue hire

Do you want to arrange an outing for a group of friends, work colleagues or special interest group? Hinxton Watermill can be booked for a private visit at all times of the year. Get in touch with your ideas and we will try to turn them into reality. For further information on our other places to visit and hire in and around Cambridge, click here.

And don’t forget, if you become a member of CambridgePPF you’ll be entitled to cheaper ticket prices, venue hire and even free entry to some of our properties on special open days.

hinxton

Support our work at Hinxton Watermill

 

Hinxton Mill is much loved by locals and regular visitors as well as mill enthusiasts. We want to be able to continue to open the Mill for all to enjoy but this relies on support from our members, volunteers and local businesses.

Would you like to help look after the Mill or act as a guide on open days? We’re always keen to hear from people who can spare an hour or two of their time to volunteer; or who would like to make a donation to help fund specific projects or purchase essential items for this special building. Becoming a member of CambridgePPF also helps support the upkeep of Hinxton Watermill.

Look out for

Hinxton Mill

On open days there’s lots to see at Hinxton Mill as the building comes back to life.

  • Demonstrations of grinding wheat and barley to turn it into flour
  • The wheel pit now containing a Canadian water turbine – a safer option than the traditional water wheel
  • Millstones, both French ‘Burrstone’ and ‘Cullen’ stones, all of which are very hard indeed
  • Children’s “Find ratty competition”

History

The early years

intros_hinxtonThe corn mill on the River Cam at Hinxton is built on a very old site which is probably the one mentioned in the Domesday Survey as being “worth 8 shillings”. The present building was constructed in the 17th century, whilst the adjoining cottage was built in the 18th century; an inscribed date of 1766 was found during repair work in the 1980s. In the mid 19th century, the mill was extended in size by building towards the cottage and its front elevation was refaced with brick. It is thought that the front part of the cottage may have dated from about 1600 but this had to be largely rebuilt, although retaining the Victorian brick front. The mill was originally powered by a breast shot waterwheel. It was replaced in 1913 by a Jones ‘Little Giant’ water turbine. The mill business, which ground grain for local farms, ceased to operate in 1955 and the mill was neglected from that date. The cottage, although occupied, was almost derelict with no mains water supply and the roof leaking in a dozen places.

Restoration

In 1984 the local authority was about to put a closing order on the cottage, but CambridgePPF stepped in to purchase and restore the property.

The aim of the restoration was to make the building structurally sound and bring the mill machinery into working order without losing the historic atmosphere of the building and its location. The unsightly corrugated iron roof was replaced with old clay peg-tiles and strengthened by inserting new rafters. Structural repairs were kept to a minimum and limewash was used to blend new surfaces with old.

The mill machinery was very complete and in good condition but the water turbine had seized up due to disuse. It was dismantled and cleaned out by sandblasting. The hardwood (lignum vitae) bearings were found to be in perfect condition.

Hinxton_mill_restoration_1986_crop
Hinxton Mill

On the stone floor the mill gearing consists of a great spur wheel and three stone nuts, which are all in good order. The three pairs of millstones are driven from above (overdrift) by the great spur wheel, which is not a common practice in watermills but fairly common in windmills.

The mill contains many fascinating items of equipment, all essential to the millers’ activities and the numerous drives, shafts, belts and pulleys have been re-assembled. One particularly interesting item is the Tangye water pump on the ground floor, which pumped river water to tanks in the barn at next door Lordship Farm .

The whole of the restoration of the mill and the cottage was funded by the CambridgePPF, supported by grants from South Cambridgeshire District Council. The local community was very supportive and continues to be so to this day.

Latest Hinxton Watermill news

Sister pubs club together for golf day in aid of local historic buildings

24th Jun 2014Corporate supportEventsFundraisingHinxton Watermill

Sister pubs The Red Lion in Hinxton and The Black Bull in Balsham clubbed together on Monday 23 June to host a charity golf tournament […] Read

Charity to open mill doors this weekend

8th May 2014Education and learningEventsHistoric buildingsBourn MillHinxton Watermill

Cambridge Past, Present & Future (CambridgePPF) is opening up two of its historic buildings on Sunday 11 March in celebration of National Mills Weekend. On […] Read

Cambridge Past, Present & Future are pleased to be working with Cambridge design agency ibe, who kindly donated the design of this site.

www.ibecreative.co.uk

Back to top